Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I think I still want a diet soda, thanks.

A new study says that aspartame causes cancer. It turns out that according to this study of rats, people might show an increased risk of cancer if they consumed twice the acceptable daily limit of diet soda.

For a 150-lb adult, that would mean that FIFTEEN CANS A DAY would give you cancer. For a 50-lb child, that would mean FIVE CANS A DAY.

Hey, I loves me some diet soda. But, um, that is a hell of a lot of soda. Is there anyone out there who really drinks that much? And if your child drinks 5 cans of soda a day, is there any room in that little bod for anything else?

I think I'm safe with my 4 or 5 bottles a week. But, um, thanks for checking.

2 comments:

ALF said...

I drink 1 soda a day and the guy who sits in front of me at work cringes everyday when he hears me open the can...he is convinced that I am going to die any second now...ridiculous!

Christine said...

Yeah, unless it's crack, I'm pretty sure you can do ANYTHING once a day, and not die. We are just committed to living perfectly, forever, I think. But I am sure that no matter what, I am not going to live forever, so I might as well enjoy a soda once in a while...while I still can.