Sunday, September 02, 2007

Please Mind the Hunch

Sons:

Your mother has worked as a freelance writer since 2001. That means you have had more than 6 years to observe her and her work habits. And more than 6 years' worth of repeated requests to Leave Mom Alone When She's Working.

A tutorial:

If Mom RUNS down the hall, half dressed, clearly crazed, and throws herself down in front of the computer

If she hunches over the keyboard, wild-eyed, typing as fast as she can

If she is clearly ignoring you

Really trying hard to ignore you

Looks like she is mumbling to herself

and starts making odd head movements, like she hears music in her head

DON'T TALK TO HER. MOM IS WORKING. YOU CAN HANDLE IT. IT CAN WAIT.

I swear, my children refuse to acknowledge that I have anything better to do than answer their every question, the second they think to ask it.

I love them, honestly I do. But I wish, sometimes, I had an office with a door.

No comments: