Monday, February 04, 2008

"They think of you as a MOM"

I straighten my hair. I wear foundation and mascara and lipstick. I have started wearing eyeliner. This is a big deal, for the Fresh Faced. But I like it.

At first, I only wore it to go out. Now, though, I often craft a fairly subdued smokey eye for everyday.

The Sons saw me putting on my eyeliner yesterday and the three youngest each asked, "Where are you going? What's the occasion? Why are you so fancy?"

I am just a hair's breadth away from the no-makeup look. Really, without the eyeliner it probably DOES look like I have nothing on my face. So I asked Son #1, aka Arbiter of Female Fashion (because he spends so much time checking out the ladies ;) if it looked bad.

"No, no. It looks GOOD. Keep it up! It's just...they think of you as a Mom, not as the kind of person who...does stuff."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouths of babes huh?! You can bet that if you didn't make any effort they would have an opinion on that too - I think it's called "You can't win" ;o)

Anonymous said...

"fairly subdued smokey eye"

I had to chuckle at this because I knew what the heck you were talking about! It's right outta the latest fashion mag - or I think so since I only read them while waiting at doctor's offices.

It can be fun to wear some makeup and feel like yeah, I be looking pretty!

I only wear makeup for work or going out. I haven't been wearing much makeup these days!

My trick is to curl my eyelashes. I have very long but also very straight eyelashes. I also do the "subdued smoky eye" although it's a bit different when you're Chinese.

I don't do the eyeliner thing as I tend to smudge even the most smudge-proof makeup and there isn't much area to work in what with the epicanthic fold and all.

Ok, so I'm lazy.

I still get a bit of a kick out of wearing makeup thought - I haven't outgrown the "dress up" feeling I got when I first started using it.

Yeah, kids don't like to think of their parents as doing...stuff. Of course, parents do all sorts of ...stuff!

ALF said...

Ha ha ha - Son #1 is very wise.