Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year 2009

I'm supposed to be working right now, but I just had to mention the Most Awkward Christmas Gift of 2008.

Son #1 received Etiquette for Dummies from his grandmother.

Nothing says "Love" to a 17 year old boy, like a book that says on the cover that his grandmother thinks he is stupid and rude.

I refrained from telling the grandmother that it is rude to give another person a "for dummies" book OR an etiquette book, unless said title has been requested by the recipient. But this was not a case of "Darn, grandma, I need some help over here, can you give me 'Wedding Etiquette for Dummies' so I don't make a total fool of myself?" This was an angry grandmother, making a statement.

Duly noted, and acknowledged, although you can bet she's not getting a thank you note.

4 comments:

Sue said...

Perhaps she should have READ the book before giving it to him. Ironic, isn't it? That the giver displays the same behavior she's pointing out to the recipient. "Do as I say, not as I do."

hahaha

Anonymous said...

Yup, another humdinger of a gift....she's.just.special.

ALF said...

Wow. That is totally crappy. There are some people I would really rather receive nothing from instead of having to act graciously when they give me a pile of crap.

Jill said...

Awww. :-( What did he say?