Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Tea, anyone?

I'm not going to the Tea Party Protest today. I considered it, but decided not to drag Sons #3 and 4 up to DC to stand in the rain all afternoon.

I have mixed feelings about not going--if I did not have kids at home, I probably would just put on my raincoat & go. And I am not sure that these protests, as uplifting as they are, are able to make any real change.

DHS, though, they're sure. Just last week they released a report about "right-wing extremists." I think it's very likely the report is trying to demonize the law-abiding, peaceful gatherings of tea party protesters.

Yeah, I think we are required to send too much of our money to the federal government to support programs with which I disagree. I think the federal tax-and-spend system has gotten away from the Founding Fathers' original vision for our country. I think lax enforcement of our borders is foolish and dangerous. Every time some far-off official suggests we should have tighter gun control, I get a little nervous (especially since Hurricane Katrina). And I have grave concerns regarding health care issues, especially where they impact the most vulnerable among us.

In short, I am one of those right-wing extremists. But for God's sake, that does not make me, or anyone I know, a white supremacist or a radical or a violent person. I think this report is a smokescreen, or at best a fantasy on the part of those who would think that people like me are a danger to the U.S.

And now, I shall get back to work. I have at least two articles to write today, and kids to raise, and it's almost time to unload the dishwasher.

Maybe I should read Saul Alinsky.

No comments: