Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When I die, I am tracking down George Orwell

Because that man was awesome. Truly awesome.

I have always loved Animal Farm and 1984, and recently told Son #2 that he had (HAD! NOW!) to read 1984. I scoured the house because I know we had a copy but it was gone...

Anyway. Found a copy of 1984 on Freecycle, told Son #2 to read it and then promptly holed up in my bedroom with it for the next couple of nights, because I LOVE IT SO MUCH AND I COULD NOT HAND IT OFF.

It's a great book. If you haven't read it yet, please, do not continue suffering. Read it. Love it. Discuss it.

I have probably read it 7 or 8 times, over the past 25 years. And so, well, there are parts of it, the reading of which is almost liturgical, for me. I know what is coming. I relish it. I expect it. It is fulfilling.

But then there is that one scene which sends a chill through me, every time. Did it again, this past week. I am not going to tell you which scene, because Son #2 is still reading.

Yesterday I started reading Burmese Days, another Orwell book but one I'd not read before. I am loving it, too, partially because

(oh geez, here she goes)

it reminds me of Thailand: the scenery, the culture, and the obnoxious attitudes of so many of the foreigners. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Had a great conversation with Fiddlin' Writer, today. She makes me want to write--makes me remember I want to write. Thank God for inspiration.

Oh, and I just fired up the grill for the first time in probably 2 years. Burgers, baby. And char.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never read 1984 although the Apple ads did kind of give me the whole book. I liked Animal Farm. I think I got it because I understood history. I'll try to find a copy of 1984. Won't promise anything.

Christine said...

Actually, I just went back and looked at the Apple ad and I would say it only gave you a teeny smidge of the book.

And yes, history I get, but I think I understood Animal Farm more because, in many ways, I am Boxer, the plow horse.

Anonymous said...

We studied Animal Farm at school but I haven't read 1984 (I know!!)
I did cry in Animal Farm though - you know that* part?

Christine said...

Penelope, honey, honestly.

Read it.

If you read it, I will read ANY BOOK YOU CHOOSE.