Sunday, January 13, 2008

2 am and they're as giggly as schoolgirls

The Sons have a couple of friends spending the night. Which means, just like it did when I was 12 and hosting half a dozen girls in the basement of my parents' place, they are Not Sleeping.

My parents were convinced that the "stay up all night and giggle" thing was a girl phenomenon. If they'd had boys, they wouldn't be dealing with that. It is to laugh.

At 1:30 this morning, the boys in the basement were talking so loud the dog (who sleeps in my bed) barked at them. Hubby tossed out a few of his Wallpapering Words and went back to sleep, good ear to the pillow. But me, well, once I'm up, I'm up.

So, in between telling the boys to CUT IT OUT, ALREADY, YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE WITH THAT STAGE WHISPER, I have been:

reading celebrity gossip web sites and National Review
eating ramen (needs cilantro, but I'm not shopping at 2 am)
watching that video of the tiger attacking an elephant on YouTube
considering cleaning (but that's even more pathetic than ramen and dlisted at 2 am)

I have also discovered who is rifling through my envelopes. Ellie, our cat, just tried to nest in there. It didn't work. Cats love a sheet of paper, so an entire stack of paper must have looked like Shangri-La to her, but...it is slidey, so she has returned to her favorite chair. I bet she tries it every night.

And the boys are mostly quiet, now. But they are clearly exhausted, and therefore giggly. I never would have believed that was possible, as a girl. All those middle school boys seemed so different from us. I guess I was just envisioning their future manliness. Because there is not a lot of Gary Cooper in my basement, right now, no matter what the girls think of those 6 young guys.

The moral of the story? It is good to be deaf in one ear.

7 comments:

k e r r y said...

I am contemplating an 8 girl slumber party (all age 8) for my daighter's 8th birthday - am I crazy?

ALF said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again - your house sounds like FUN!

Sue said...

My nine-year-old daughter had three girls over for her first sleepover on her birthday, it was wild. I told Josh in advance what to expect (being a slumber party veteran myself), so we stayed up with the girls until they fell asleep, and they did eventually fall asleep, but not before driving Josh absolutely crazy. hahaha

Anonymous said...

So true...girls giggle, but so do boys...goofy!!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea boys could be giggly. I thought goofy like Cynthia - I've seen them be all snorty-laughing but giggling? Huh.

I only had a few slumber parties as a kid. I also only went to a few. What I liked was those camping overnighters - just one night! That was fun. Even though I was mosquito bait.

Your house does sound like fun. Ramen at 2am? Egads. I avoid ramen. It's like potato chips - kinda addicting. I can eat a couple of packs of that stuff! Which is why I avoid them.

When I get the carbo-crave I eat those rye crackers with this soy-peanut butter spread. They are fiber-packed and expand on entry if you know what I mean.

Tina said...

I am sooo linking you to my bff. She has four boys, 4, 3, 3, soon to be 2. Schoolboys as school girls. Who woulda thunk it?

That story was a riot btw. Glad I found ya (don't know how, I've been lurking everywhere today). I'll be back for more.

Christine said...

Tina, you are going to scare the crap out of her. Because it's toooooo laaaaaate! Her path is chosen!

;)